Wednesday, July 11, 2007

It's a Beantown!



At last! I have arrived in the city that has loomed ahead of me for the past four years. My dad and I landed via friendly American Airlines late Sunday night (July 1) and made our way across the city in a newly rented suv (upgraded for bed-moving logistics). Our first glimpse of the city was lovely, an 8:30 pm sky still filled with the day's last rays of sunshine. The first night--not so lovely. Uncomfortable air mattresses were not our friend and for a number of hours, my dad and I tossed and turned, never to fall into sound sleep and only to awake to the morning's sun--at 4:00 am!!

We rose early and from that point on, we moved non-stop to get my place into working order. Forever, I am indebted to my father for all of his help. Four trips to Target, one to Ikea, Home Depot and Shaws, plus two crazy drives around Boston to seal Craigslist deals...needless to say, we got to know the city. Beautiful it is, but the roads are unmarked and much too windy!


My apartment in Cambridge:


Here is a couple pictures of my room in my new place:


And the kitchen:


The first couple of days we neglected to eat, but we did indulge in a few wonderful meals after we got our bearings. First, we ate at a great Italian food place--one we thought was local, but turned out to be a chain: Bertucci's. Nevertheless, it hit the spot and our stomaches were incredibly happy, as they were the following night when we partook in some delicious Indian food at Inman Square's Haveli. Covered floor to ceiling in beautiful Indian tapestries, my dad and I ate while enjoying the atmosphere.



We also walked the Freedom Trail on July 4th-how wonderfully American. Our feet were tired and we were ready to lie down and sleep, but we ventured out later that night once again to watch the fireworks on the Boston Univeristy Bridge over the Charles River. It was wet and rainy but being able to spend the day with my dad made it all worth it.


After accompanying my dad to the airport, I have since started to settle into Boston. Public transport is wonderful, and I really like the Central Square/ Harvard Square area in which I live. Also, I started work on Monday at the architecture firm of Machado & Silvetti. So far, so good! I think I am the youngest person at the firm by about 4 or 5 years, but everyone is welcoming and the work has been fun, too. Even better! I am currently working on a project in Pamplona, Spain...first pin-up this Friday. Wish me luck!

Oh, and Harry Potter Friday!

No comments: